Certified Women-Owned Business Enterprise (WBE)

How Do I Check My Propane Tank Levels?

how to check propane level buffalo rochester

If you call in your propane orders rather than relying on automatic propane delivery, the most important job you have is to keep an eye on your propane levels. The question is, how do you do it?

Checking The propane gauge:

Reading a propane tank gauge is actually quite easy: just look for a round dial near the top of your propane tank that looks like a speedometer; once you find it, simply read the gauge just as you would the gas gauge on your car.

But there is a bit of a catch.

For safety reasons, an aboveground propane tank is only filled to 80 percent of its stated capacity – the remaining 20 percent of the tank remains empty to allow the gas to expand as temperatures rise. That means that a 320-gallon tank, when full, will actually contain only 256 gallons of propane.

When to schedule a propane delivery:

With less fuel in your tank than you think, you can understand why it’s so important to schedule your propane delivery when the tank is no less than one-quarter full – especially during a cold snap here in Buffalo and Rochester. That will give our delivery team enough time to make a propane delivery before you run out of fuel – a hassle and expense you definitely want to avoid.

If you do run out of propane, don’t panic – call Irish Propane for an emergency propane delivery and service. We will inspect your propane equipment and perform your mandatory leak and pressure test, then get your tank refilled so you can get your heat back on as quickly as possible.

For reliable propane gas delivery in our Buffalo or Rochester service areas, trust the experts at Irish Propane. Contact us today to learn more, or to become an Irish Propane customer.

The Irish Family of Companies